Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

I found the chef!

Incredibly, things are coming together. Phil Hartman gave me the name of the chef, Karen Haglof, and after conferring with his friend and former business partner Rich Krasberg has informed me that it had a chicken soup base, and was a “a riff on a recipe we found from Virginia (where it's kind of a staple).” My good friend Kit attached a traditional Virginia peanut soup link below, so I’m within striking distance of the soup that has haunted me. I could make an attempt on my own, using the tools at hand. But I want to Ur-soup, the true source of soup that has become my Madelines, my muse
According to Google, there are two Karen Haglofs in the United States. One is a doctor and one has a Facebook page. I decided to try that one and emailed her and yes it not only is the same one but she actually read this blog! Before, she was sort of a character in an Isabel Allende novel, having passionate affairs and cooking magical food but now she’s an actual person who read my blog! I just hope she doesn’t take offense to my public imaginings about her romantic life, albeit 15 years ago. I’m not sure she’s even in New York, but I hope she’s cooking somewhere. I will make a pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment